Support your library! Find out how here.
Reference and Reader's Advisory
Books for Everyone
The Library has over 20,000 books in a wide variety of subjects and genres from which to choose.
Hundreds of Children's and Adult titles to choose from.
We have a large collection of audiobooks, abridged and unabridged, on CD for children and adults. Downloadable audiobooks are available through our Up North Digital Collection (OverDrive)".
Overdrive (downloadable collection)
Thousands of digital titles (ebooks, audiobooks, music and movies) to choose from. To get started, click here.
The Library has an extensive children's collection, which includes easy readers, audiobooks, Newbery Medal winners, Spanish language books, chapter books, and reference books. Contact the library for details on story hours and children's programming, or visit the events page.
Interlibrary Loans and MelCat
If you need a book or information not available at the Library, we will get it for you from another library. Click here for MelCat instructions.
Large Print Books
Hundreds of large print books are available and the collection is updated regularly.
Magazines and Newspapers
There are over 75 magazines and newspapers from which to choose. Back issues of magazines may be checked out for for one week.
Mobile HotSpot Lending
To further the Library’s mission of meeting the informational, recreational, and educational needs of the public, the Library will lend mobile hotspots to help make information more accessible.
Guidelines for Borrowing and Use
• Borrowers must be at least 18 years of age and have an in-district Library Card for at least 90 days and be in good standing with the Library (with a current address/phone on file and no outstanding fines, or overdue materials.)
• Hotspots may only be checked out and returned at the Circulation desk. There will be a $10 fine if the unit is returned in the book drop, plus any book drop related damage to the device. Patrons who return a device in the book drop will be blocked from checking the device out in the future.
• Borrowers must read, understand, and sign the hotspot lending agreement at the Circulation Desk in the presence of a library staff member every time a hotspot is checked out.
• Hotspots may be loaned for up to 7 days. They may not be renewed and must be available to others for at least 48 hours before the same household can check a hotspot out again.
• Patrons are responsible for verifying the network coverage at https://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?.
• Borrowers, along with a library staff member, will verify that all accessories are present at the time of checkout and check-in.
• Hotspots circulate on a first come, first serve basis. Holds may not be placed on mobile hotspots.
• If the hotspot is not returned on the due date, the item will be deactivated, making the device unusable.
• Geographic limitations: HotSpot devices may only be used in the continental United States.
• An overdue fine of $10.00 per day will be charged for a hotspot that is not returned, up to the replacement cost of $250. Patrons are responsible for full replacement cost if the device or any parts are lost, stolen, damaged, or otherwise not returned.
The Library is not responsible for information accessed using this device or for personal information that is shared over the Internet. Internet content filtering is NOT provided through the Wireless HotSpot. Parents/Guardians are responsible for monitoring what their children access via the Wireless HotSpot. The Library is not responsible for any computer viruses that may be transferred to user storage devices. Patrons using the library’s mobile hotspot must abide by the Library's Acceptable Use Policy.
Printing is $0.15 per page. No color printing or wireless printing is available.
Wireless Internet Access - Available for free, 24/7. Wi-Fi may be accessed after hours in the library parking lot.
Benzie Shores District Library Card
Easy to get, easy to use, and free to everyone. Library cards with full borrowing privileges are available to full or part-time residents, and to property owners within the Benzie Shores Library district boundaries as well as students enrolled in the Frankfort-Elberta Area schools. Free cards providing limited borrowing privileges are available to anyone else wishing to borrow the library’s own books and materials but, in accordance with licensing requirements, do not provide borrowing privileges through Overdrive. The library district includes the following members and contract areas: the City of Frankfort, Blaine Township, Crystal Lake Township, the Village of Elberta,Gilmore Township, and a portion of Lake Township (homes located in the FEAS school district).
Cards are only needed to check materials out of the library. You do not need a card to browse or read in the library, or to use computers and wi-fi. Library programs are open to the public and a card is not required.
A variety of programs for all ages are held throughout the year. Visit the events page for a current list of programs.
Reference and Reader's Advisory Services
The Library has access to the MeL databases and many fine reference books and materials. Visit our Online Resources page for a more throough listing of references sources available. The Library staff is happy to help with any reference question you may have.
Medical Health Information — The Library has many medical reference books that explain medications, diseases, procedures, and other medical questions. Timely medical health information is available for free through the MeL databases at www.mel.org and through health newsletters. Many alternative medicine books are also available.
Online Public Catalog — Search the entire holdings of the Library via the Web or using our in-house computer system. This system is easy to use and available to all Library patrons. On the Web version of the catalog, the first step is to set up an account using your library card number. You can reserve and renew materials or browse the catalog.
Having trouble finding a good book? We love to make suggestions. Visit the BSDL Pineterest board for more suggestions.
630 Main Street
P.O. Box 631
Frankfort, MI 49635
Monday 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Tuesday 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Wednesday 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Thursday 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Friday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Saturday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.